Blackpool Mill is a rendered four-storey and attic building with a pitched slate roof. There are symmetrical two-storey wings set back from the building's south east frontage. The main central door originally had a canopy, which has since been removed.
The waterwheel was eventually replaced by a turbine in 1901, which drove the four pairs of millstones situated at first floor level. Much of the other existing machinery was updated at that time. The turbine remained in use until 1958, when an electric drive was fitted.
The four pairs of millstones were used as follows:
- One pair for Maize
- One pair for Wheat
- Two pairs for Barley
The mill building was renovated and opened to the public as a museum and tourist venue with some working machinery in 1968; sadly it is currently closed.
|No longer open to the public|
|Bridging the River Cleddau|
|Ornamental single arch bridge with Blackpool Mill in the background|