Thursday 17 September 2015

Year of the Goat

According to the Chinese zodiac 2015 is the Year of the Goat. I won't argue with that, but I will put a twist on it since the local raptor population has boomed this year by saying 2015 ought to have been the Year of the Rodent... as I'm sure we're all well aware raptors rely heavily on rodents in their diet so it follows that a boom year for raptors must mean a boom year for rodents.

European Buzzards were a common enough sight when my grandfather was a kid, but by the time my childhood came around they had been all but eradicated from this part of the world. Thanks to modern farming methods and revised thinking British birds of prey have made a remarkable comeback over the years and the European Buzzard population is now thriving. In fact there are so many buzzards in this area now it is a wonder how they all survive.

I encountered several buzzards on my walk this morning, both in the air and standing sentinel on posts, tree branches and telegraph poles.

I have my eye on you
It still amazes me that anyone should have wanted to destroy such beautiful animals, but time was when buzzards were shot on sight.

Buzzard in flight
Like many large birds Buzzards might appear ungainly on the ground, but to see them wheeling in the morning skies and calling to each other makes me glad to be alive.

I borrowed this picture of Fudge from Predator Experience, I'm sure they won't mind. Isn't he beautiful?

Fudge the Buzzard


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.