Tuesday 26 July 2016

Okay I admit it, I was wrong...

So a few days ago I told you I'd spotted what I believed to be some rare visitors to these shores and now I'm holding my hand up to say I was mistaken. I'd seen a group of three cranes, which I mistakenly identified as Sandhill Cranes. In my defence I saw the birds in early morning light and at a distance. I saw them again this morning and this time I had my little Panasonic TZ5 with me (it just fits in the rear pouch of my cycling shirt) so I grabbed some quick images. Again we're talking early morning light (6:20am) and in overcast conditions at the extreme end of my little pocket camera's zoom... I tell you this because the images are not great by any means, but at least they prove the birds are there. :)

Common Cranes
They are Common Cranes otherwise known as European Cranes and I'm pretty sure they will have migrated the short distance from the Somerset Levels where a group were released in an effort to reintroduce the species to the UK a couple of years ago.

Common Cranes
I'd still like to photograph these birds properly, after all these are the first cranes I've ever seen living in the wild in the UK, so will make the effort to capture some images with a 'proper' camera and long lens.

Common Cranes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.