Sunday 7 August 2016

Made me smile

I'm enjoying my twiddly-umpty fourth birthday today, but the celebrations actually started yesterday with an open-air concert held at Caldicot Castle. The headline act was the inimitable Status Quo, but I think the warm-up band was arranged especially for me... a band I've listened too for years on end, but never had the opportunity to see live... the excellent Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel!


Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel at Caldicot Castle
Sadly of course the band members, like me, are getting on in years and showing signs of age/wear and tear. Indeed there are only three of the original line-up surviving.

Steve Harley - Founder and band leader
Robbie Gladwell - Guitarist
Stuart Elliot - Drums
Of course band members come and go as musicians follow their own career path, leave for family commitment, or whatever.

Barry Wickens - Violin, Guitar, Backing Vocals
James Lascelles - Keyboards, Percussion, Backing Vocals
Bassist - I'm embarrassed to say I don't know his name
I'm sure I should know the name of the bass player who is currently replacing Marty Prior, who I believe died last year. Whoever he is, his bass playing last night was excellent.

The band played all the old favourites of course; Judy Teen, Mr Soft, The Best Years of Our Lives, Sebastian, etc. and rounded off their performance with an encore performance of Make Me Smile - and I most certainly did when I wasn't singing along with them.

Here are a few more of the images I took during the performance:





Thank you Cockney Rebel for a very enjoyable set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.