Wednesday 16 August 2017

'Graffiti, art or eye-sore?'

I spotted a couple of examples of street art (graffiti) while walking in Newport a couple of days ago. The pieces in question were directly opposite one another in an alleyway that used to be known as Carpenter's Cut back when I was a kid; I don't recall the alley ever having an actual street sign and checking out the location on Google maps, I find the alleyway is not designated. It was well known to people of my generation because it gave access to the rear bar of the Carpenter's Arms, known as the Log Box, which had a great jukebox back in the day. But I digress... back to the street art.



This first piece, whilst colourful and well defined, does nothing for me at all. The artist is undoubtedly skilled, just look at the detail in the lettering, but as piece of art it leaves me cold.


I photographed this second piece from both left and right because the alleyway is not wide enough for me to capture the whole thing in the amount of detain I required. Looking at this on the building's wall I found my eye immediately drawn into the piece, then found myself questioning whether it was the work of one artist or two? Note the lettering holds the tag Ghost Writers, while the figure is wearing a tee-shirt with the logo Ink Devils emblazoned on the chest. I admire the skill that has gone into this piece of art it appeals to me on several levels and whoever worked on it, I like it. 


I think it's interesting that these two pieces of street art, possibly by the selfsame artist and displayed immediately opposite each other, should engender such a different reaction in me. They also raise the question in my mind, 'Graffiti, art or eye-sore?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.