Sunday 29 October 2017

Making use of that extra hour

So here in the UK we've departed from British Summer Time and returned Greenwich Mean Time, this means the clocks went back one hour at 02:00 today. For most people this is a godsend because they get an extra hour in bed, for me it's an additional nightmare since it means I have an extra hour of insomnia... oh well, more time to stooge the Internet then.

As it turns out it was a lovely morning here so after an early breakfast we hopped in the car and headed for the coast to give Tilly a bit of beach time.

Ogmore to Porthcawl panorama
We parked beside the River Ewenny at Ogmore-by-Sea and walked down to the beach. Bizarrely, for a dog that hates water, Tilly loves the beach. I think it's because the sand has so many different textures and there are always so many things to sniff and explore.

Me and My Shadow hit the beach
As usual Tilly's first reaction on the beach is to stand and stare, after all a dog's got to check out the opposition and see if there's any available talent in the offing.

Checking for other Doggy scent
Then the sniffing starts. First thing to check are other dog prints.

Can I go play now?
Then I get the big brown eyes and the unspoken question, it's obvious to me she wants to go and play and is just asking permission.

While Tilly is off doing her things I do a little exploring of my own, there is always something of interest to find on a beach. In shallow water beside some rocks I spot my first victim... he's a Rag Worm that has been uprooted, probably by some marauding seagull. He's damaged, but is still alive.


At around 15 inches he's quite a big fella with a pale belly and greenish upper side.


Having photographed him I returned him to a section of quiet, shallow water with a sandy bottom. A few minutes later he was busy burrowing into the sand. I doubt he'll survive, but at least I gave him a fighting chance.

I took a few other images while Tilly was playing and may or may not share them at some stage. Here's one of the River Ewenny flowing down to the sea at Ogmore, which I hope you'll enjoy.

River Ewenny at Ogmore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.